Not the one I live in. It totally sucks my Err.
The one I work in. THAT is my neighborhood.
It used to be busy and business-y. Not so much now. Higher crime and poverty pushing in have moved business to the next town over in the way that urban sprawl does. Which really, if you think about it...is less of an urban sprawl and more of a shift. No lie, the poverty and high crime that has pushed in is that from the neighborhood where my family was from. I suppose, I am just another generation who's come to stay.
I spend most of my life in this area, I shop there as much as possible, which isn't often because there aren't many businesses left. Of the businesses that remain, there is a PetSmart and an Anderson's General Store.
Anderson's is just a cool place. Its supposed to be an old fashioned general store. This means you can buy dog food, soap, fancy pants beer and tulip bulbs. They have a nice butcher that is reasonable and helpful, a bakery that is clearly straight from the depths of hell because it is so damn sinful, a garden center and areas where you can remodel your bathroom. There are all kinds of people there. Uppity white women buying herbs and imported idon'tknowwhat, rough necks buying beer and Dickies, old folks browsing over locally grown apples and $.99 sugar baby watermelons on special, rats like me buying neckbones or hamhocks for greens and other stuff. No one looks out of place there.
My purchase yesterday was a half-peck of Ohio grown yellow delicious apples (and really, I have no idea what a half-peck is, but will tell you that it tickles a city girl to buy apples like this in the city), a LED light up collar thingy for Wonder Dog (because it is never light on our morning walks anymore), Burts Bees soap for my shower, a magazine that is hard to find for my mom (they always have it), and 2 cans (yay, metal cans!!!) of coffee with chicory. You can't help but leave happy.
I drove around the empty shopping district (the grocery, Best Buy and others are gone, a cheap seats movie and Waffle House remain). There's a Target (that no doubt has limited days as they are building one in that neighboring town I was telling you about earlier), a Hobby Lobby, an Office Max, and a Pet Smart. There were twice the amount of stores here at one time, but they're all gone and the parking lots are empty and eerie.
Wonder Dog managed to get himself a puncture wound in his front paw. My boy who's got issues to begin with, hurt his paw and was limping. And finally trusted me to help him. He looked to me to fix it. And that, folks, broke my heart, because I didn't know how and couldn't get in to see the vet until two days later. Because I am a totally sap about things WD related, I decided it was time to replace his old, now flat, too small for a tall guy like WD bed with the grand master pimp bed that I saw at Pet Smart when I adopted him (but couldn't afford because, people, new dogs...particularly new big dogs with issues.... are expensive).
I love Pet Smart anyway. Even when I don't get to take my dog (I know, I'm a dork) I love being around the other dogs. I'm reminded of adopting my dog from a Mingle with the Mutts sponsored by Pet Smart. But this store is somewhat different than others. Its almost totally devoid of designer dogs. Mixed breeds like mine don't get sideways looks. Big tuff dogs like mine, don't get looks. There are some little dogs with older folks, but mostly, there are powerful breeds. Rotties, dobes, and pitbulls. My guy, with his muscles, tuff guy swagger, and gentleman's collar, wouldn't have raised any eyes.
I saw the most beautiful red pitt as I was carrying out a dog bed that was so big it made me feel silly. His man let him out and then had him wait until he got his wallet and locked the passenger side door. Leash dragging, the pitt did not run away and go eat someone's face. Instead he watched his man, wiggling and waiting. And instead of everyone acting like loose pitt would eat their face (he picked up the leash, by the way, when he began walking into the store) an older lady stopped him to pet the pretty red dog and talk to his owner.
Even after a long staff meeting in what is currently a complicated job situation, I left for home in a really good mood (which got exponentially better when WD went totally ape shit over his new bed). Its good to be somewhere that the world makes sense to you. Where people nod up instead of down. Where they say, "how you doin'" and "alright" and look you in the eye when you pass by. Where people catch the door because they have home training. Where the people checking you out get your jokes and don't look at you like you're weird. I suppose its how you feel when you're home.
Wild Salmon With Cajun Spices
2 years ago
4 comments:
Aha!
Something I can answer!
A PECK is a unit of measure - it is roughly one fourth of a bushel, which is or was anyway a common unit of measure for produce like apples, corn and potatoes. My gramma Cravey used to sign her letters to me "i love you, a bushel and a peck"...
I love it that you're at "home" Dr. Err. I just wish, daily that "home" for you wasn't so far from "home" for me.
I'm glad WD is doing better, loved his new bed and now has a bed proper for a dog of his stature. Heh.
That's what he says anyway.
jelw
I read this literally 15 minutes after getting home from my own trip to the Andersons near me, so this made me smile. I hadn't noticed the price on the baby watermelons, but 99 cents apiece explains why the older lady 2 people up in line from me bought 5 of them.
I'm glad you feel home there too. I just wish you felt more like that in the neighborhood where your house is too.
Oh man, I'm seriously glad to hear WD is back on his wheels. Nothing sucks more than having your best friend hurting or sick and not being able to do anything about it.
I don't know that I've ever lived -- or worked for that matter -- in a place I felt as good about as you do that one. But I'm happy for ya. I'm glad somebody's got one.
And Cravey? "(I Love You) A Bushel and a Peck" is the title of an old show tune from Guys and Dolls.
And finally... Doc, given the setting of that graveyard I couldn't have titled the photo anything else. Nice to know somebody "got it".
That sounds like a big general store. My general store is about the size of a iving room, has the old fashioned wood counters going along the sides that you have to sqeeze behind to get the goods off of the shelves. It was build in the early 1800's so it's like a Little House on the Prairie general store. I love it!
Glad WD got a new bed. Bella got one recently too because Boots ate her other one. We just got Boots a new cage since he grew out of the old one (he wasn't supposed to have to be in the cage this long but if he wasn't I wouldn't have a house left.) Avery likes the cage better than him. She gets in with him and tells us to lock her in, crazy kid.
Post a Comment