Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Speaking of Gardening and Beautiful Things


WM just found out that she has some new dietary issues. They mostly revolve around cutting out dairy (totally do-able save for an occasional pizza). But...there seems to be some issue with in-season fruit and some additive/preservative that is bad for her (and no doubt, all of us, I bet). If she eats in-season fruit, her doctor advised her to go with locally grown.
This is interesting to me because my house has just attempted to go with locally grown produce as much as possible. I've not done so well with it yet, but that's a big damn adjustment...and I'm working on it. Now I have more of an idea what I am doing and it should go more smoothly. My goal, is to someday grow all of my own produce (and as I'm trying to buy 11 acres here soon, I think I can do it). In my little suburban lot, I can't totally sustain myself in the produce department. But I think I am making a good damn start.
I'd like to introduce Cherokee Purple (its an heirloom larger sized tomato...each of these bad boys is at least the size of soft ball and mostly meat, few seeds).
Wait until you see the Georgia Stripe....

6 comments:

sage said...

Yum! I grew tomatoes in the strip next to the garage. Unfortunately, it's in the alley, so the "alley people" (as my neighbor terms them) have been harvesting my heirloom tomatoes all season. Here, I was thinking that they just weren't producing very well.

Pineapple is an amazing variety, too.

sauconRunner said...

My parents still have a decent size garden that I raid weekly. They have the best jersey tomatoes around (my dad has been collecting seeds for years).

We planned on starting our garden this year but it didn't happen. Next year definately. I grew up eating only our own garden veggies and I miss it!

Maria said...

Ooooo, me likey! What do you think the biggest differences in taste are?

Craver said...

Those look pretty darn good.

Tell WM to take care and eat her daughters produce.

jc

Kris said...

Cooking Light just had a feature on heirloom tomatoes including a recipe specifically for Cherokee purple. If you go to their website and do a search you can find it. My sister has some of the others mentioned in the article so she kept my copy.

Doctor Err said...

Kotzebue: someone jacked all of my corn one year and i didn't get to eat any. really chapped my ass...

Saucon: what is a jersey tomato?

Maria: they are less acidy, more meaty... the georgia stripes are sweeter

JC: she will. half of these...went to her house! :)