Most days, I am up by 5 a.m. I stumble outta bed, let WD (wonder dog) out to pee while I empty the dishwasher. Then I put on my shoes and head down to the mill for a couple-a-three miles. I would much rather run outside, but I prefer to run in the morning and right now, its dark as shit at 5:15. I get off the mill and stretch out. Recently, WD has started to howl at me when I finish running while I stretch. Not sure about that… I am sure, however that I hate to stretch. I’m not naturally bendy. Tall women are usually not. I have to work at it. I do yoga to try and help me. I suck. It’s the only gym class I’ve ever not been good at. It is typically easy for me to skip my stretch as time is valuable, but I am becoming increasingly aware that it will be what keeps me from hurting myself again. I have blown both hips out. The first time, I was rehabbing it for almost a year and a half. I was told I wouldn’t run again. I certainly don’t run nearly as well as I once did (hell, I don’t walk as well), but I am running. That is the hip with the Rosie the Riveter tattoo. The second time, it wasn’t as bad, I had a good doctor and while my miles are still low, I’m getting in 8 miles or so a week and so I am back to trying to build my base.
Last week I took a day off because my calf (on the side where I have PF) was so tight I couldn’t flex it. More stretching. Some icing. By yesterday, after an hour of walking with WD and a 2 mile shortie run, it felt pretty ok. My hip however, is sore.
I asked TB if I should take the day off.
I didn’t ask because I needed permission or he knows any more about running than I do. I checked with him, because I worry about using excuses and slacking. Don’t get me wrong. I love to run. I love how it makes me feel, the time being sweaty and physical. I love what I know it is doing for my body. How my doctors comment on my low heart rate. However, its hard damn work.
My mileage is not so much hard. Yet. 2 miles is easy. 10….much harder. But the getting up at 5 to run, then walking WD for an hour, doing chores and THEN leaving for work…only to come home, like I did yesterday, walk WD some more, and trim the hell out of my holly bushes out front. That’s another story, folks. That is difficult, sometimes.
And as tired as I am now….once those Saturday runs get up around ten miles or so, I’m wondering where the energy will come from.
But at the same time, I tend to over do. I’m not some exercise junkie gym whore, don’t get me wrong. I would describe my life as active, however. I’ve been in rehab a million times for hips, PF, etc. If I can physically do something at the time, I tend to think, “what the hell…go for it” And then something hurts. So I spend a lot of time wondering… am I slacking or being smart? And really, I don’t know.
What I do know is that I’ve decided to move from my 5 day training program to every other day for the month of September. I’ll still try to increase my mileage (beginning tomorrow with a 3 mile LR….yeah, I said long run and 3 miles n the same sentence…buzzoffaboutitimbuilding….). Come October, I’ll re evaluate. Until then, I’ll continue to increase my stretching time and my other cross training to make the rest of me stronger (cuz I don’t enjoy my current HM2PT- half marathon to physical therapy- training plan).
I don’t usually write about my running (um, because what’s funny, touching, thought provoking about my thick ass jiggling its way around my neighborhood for several miles?). But I am still concerned about the possibility of me being a slacker. And writing what I’m doing makes it feel more like a plan (not a slack). And that makes me feel better.
And since blogs really are some self indulgent little interweb suckers, it feels appropriate.
Wild Salmon With Cajun Spices
2 years ago
4 comments:
Doc, I think moving to an every-other-day schedule is totally sensible, not slacktastic in the least. Not to get all mushy, but I admire you for sticking with the running considering all the sh!t your body puts you through.
Now you're a lot younger than I am, but I find that I manage to hurt myself whenever I start thinking I can run 4 days in a row. I do it sometimes, but I really shouldn't. 3 days on, a day off, 2 days on, a day off, that's really the most I'm ever gonna be able to do. And, I'm not sure how many more years I'll be able to do that. I should have started running long before I was 37.
I don't think you are slacking at all. You are being smart and listening to your body. I feel like a slacker at times too but to my credit, I've never had an injury that has left me on the bench for more than a few days.
If I'm doubting whether I should run because of some nagging aches and pains, increasing exhaustion, etc. than its probably a good idea to rearrange the schedule or take a day off.
And I hear you sister on the thick ass jiggling around the neighborhood! I'm right there with you!
HM2PT? lmao!
Every other day sounds good to me especially since you're prone to injury. Like kotz, I admire your tenacity with this running thing!
Also, I love this book, you might want to check it out.
Every other day isn't slacking, period, especially when it's happening before 6 am. damn. I can't believe I used to do that too - I used to run at like 430 .. I can't imagine it now.
I want you healthy and well come February, whether you decide to run or cheer, just healthy and well.
Got it?
jelw
Post a Comment