Have you ever worked retail?
At Christmas?
I've been let out of the back room of WM's store. I was kept there for nearly 4 years, not allowed to work anywhere near the customers. It seems, I was a bit burned out. Maybe a lot burned out after 10 years of retail hell. There is something about women buying things for their house (and particularly buying a lot of it....however they define a lot) that makes them think they own you. Some don't own you, but rather take some kind of sick high school popularity mean girls pleasure in thinking they have some intimate personal friendship relationship with you. Neither of these sits particularly well with me. I see them as major flaws of character and person. However, I have a vested interest in the well being of my mom's business pursuits, and it not getting smacked (cuz my mother does that). So I treat most customers the same and am friendly and helpful and efficient.
My mom reached the conclusion that perhaps I needed a break when she began to build a new building. Her store was originally located in a 100 + year old farm house. She used the lot, which was over an acre to build a 4,000 square foot store. The old house still remains, but the garage built in the 70's had to come down.
Somewhere around the time of her remodel, I was in year 2 of my last round of school. My stress level was through the roof. It seemed my tolerance with women who found my mother's shop the cool store at the mall (hypothetically speaking), had run out.
My mom was sensing this very clearly (what with her Spidey-mom sense and all) and was proven right when this even took place.
Lady with no life: Oh my gosh!!! The garage outside is gone!!! What happened to it? (Less than slick way of asking what we were doing construction-wise... because of the remaining construction debris it was clear that it had been torn down).
Clerk with no home training (me): Beats me. We came in today and that sucker was just gone.
I got put on, um, sabbatical.
I'm not sure that I want to be back or if I would be allowed back if WM weren't so pressed for workers who were.... alive. Really people, I don't know why the hell people think that when you drive to your job it is called, 'going to work.' But here we are. Me, at 33 years of age, being reminded every weekend, to mind my manners.
But its hard people. Especially at the holidays. So if you've never worked retail in the holidays here are some tips:
1. All sales final means all sales final. Not all sales final for everyone but you. We aren't Walmart people.
2. Do. No. Tap your fucking fake finger nails at me while I ring in your sale. I am going as fast as I can, we are still faster than Walmart, and if the girl ringing you out is 6 feet tall, with red hair and ghetto hoops...she is totally thinking about kicking your ass. That's just rude.
3. No. I will not take your gum and put it in the trash. Nor your kids gum.
Leave your pop in the car, douche bags.
4. If you break it... say you broke it. Don't say, 'I think this was like this already' see the part about the tall red head.
5. If I quote you a price on something, don't loudly repeat it incredulously. That's tacky. Just say thank you and talk to your girlfriends about it in the car later.
6. If you're at a small store... do not (and I repeat do not) talk about how to make the stuff they have. You look like an ass. Be original. If you're so damn talented, then come up with your own ideas. And oh yeah. That redhead....
7. Heaven help you if the red head mentioned above catches you taking pictures or just as bad...shoplifting. You'll wish I called the cops.
8. Yes. Our Christmas trees are pretty. Yes. I could do it professionally. No I am not for hire. I know you would pay me. I have been to school for ten years. Unless you made me hot chocolate and toast on cold mornings and chicken soup when I was sick.... you can't afford to have me decorate your motherfucking tree.
9. If I say you can't take down my display. That means no. Not let me argue with you about it for ten minutes.
So far, I've been on my very best behavior. It would help if more people read my blog....
Wild Salmon With Cajun Spices
2 years ago
7 comments:
I've never worked retail (holiday or otherwise) but I did spend a fair number of years in food service. The last several of them working as a chef in a country club. And the whole time I was reading this I was flashing on my last holiday tour of duty there. The executive chef had left to open his own place and his swan song was the Thanksgiving Buffet. He'd given the club 30 days notice, so it wasn't like they didn't have a chance to find a replacement for him -- they just didn't.
So here I am, with my oldest son due just any old time and I'm doing my boss's job and mine during the busiest.freakin.season.of.the.year.
Midway through this festive odyssey of holiday magic, I'm dressing a table for a buffet and Barbie's Mom comes up to me with a wad of wrapping paper in her hand and says (and no, I am not makin' this up... I couldn't make up anything this good) "Would you like to do something with this?"
The pregnant pause that followed said more than I ever could have put into words, and I saw the shock of realization set in as she realized what a whopper of a straight line she'd just handed me.
Mustering every bit of will I could summon up, I just smiled sweetly and said, "You have no idea."
And that, folks, is my favorite Christmas story.
My favorite is number 8.
You are a strong woman.
I love it.
jc
Hee! I would be happy to make you hot chocolate on cold mornings, but I don't know how to make chicken soup. I make a mean miso soup, though.
I think that it might be true that your school can't afford you, either. I know for sure they don't pay you what you're worth.
<3
Maybe you could subtlely leave copies of the blog around the shop?? :)
And this part:
and if the girl ringing you out is 6 feet tall, with red hair and ghetto hoops...she is totally thinking about kicking your ass.
cracked me the hell up!!!
I feel far more informed now, and shall forthwith refrain from any of those nasty-ass behaviors.
Of course, I don't think I've ever been in that store, clicked fake nails, propositioned a redhead to 'decorate my tree' or any such nonsense. So I can rest easy, fairly confident it wasn't me what pissed you off.
dude, I have worked in retail hell at Christmas. Made my soul-sucking 1st social work job seem like heaven by comparison, at least until the memories faded.
Thank goodness my mom doesn't own a store. :-)
I worked retail. At Christmas. In the toy department and "seasonal". That was my first job and it was the year cabbage patch dolls were THE gift. People were just crazy, but nothing near as bad as the day after Christmas when seasonal was marked down. I saw people literally running through the store to get 50% off of wrapping paper and stuff.
Yeah, I know how customers can be. I hope than means I am halfway decent to the folks I deal with when shopping any time of the year.
Post a Comment