There’s a lot of talk about how sweet teaching gigs are. Summers off, holidays, snow days, spring break, blah blah blah. Typically, when I hear teachers combat this kind of you have an easy job rhetoric, I hear about stacks of papers to grade every evening at home. Let me be very clear. Never, have I brought papers home to grade. I might stay late a half dozen times a year to input grades, but that’s about the extent of it for this kid. I’m there maybe 15 minutes early, and I bust my ass while I’m there.
At 3:10, I’m getting my shit to hit the door.
I maintain that a good teacher needs this time off to recharge her or his batteries. If you’re good at your job… you put your soul into it. And that really takes it out of ya, people.
I. Am. Tired.
No lie, part of it is due to working at WM’s shop. I’ve had, I think 3 days off since October. I’m still running, not as much as I’d like… but enough to shave 5 minutes off my previous time in a last minute 4 mile run with my brother last weekend (it was rad people…. I didn’t have a watch so I had no idea until I got to the finish line and TB’s jaw literally dropped when he saw me…he and K weren’t even looking for me yet). I’m walking the crazy dogs, training the new one, and attempting to keep a clean home and get some sleep.
I’m worn out. I NEED break. I need time to drink coffee with my dogs in the morning. I need to see my sister (or at least find time to talk more than every couple of weeks). I need to go out to lunch with loved ones. I need to play in the kitchen. I need to go for runs that I’m not just trying to sammich in between things that I have to coordinate time-wise with TB. No lie, my breaks are typically very busy. But I’m doing what I want, on my time.
I was telling TB this as I was standing in my shower cap and undergarments (I know, sex-ay) putting on my face this morning. I got ready to go a tad early because of the horrid weather, had KONG toys stuffed with treats to keep my boys busy for a while when I leave. They’d been out in the quarter inch of ice that covered everything (poor puppy wipe-outs….) and I was putting my jacket on over my scarf when TB yelled that my school was on a 2 hour delay according to the news.
I took off my dress clothes and put on sweats. I poured my coffee into an adventure mug instead of a travel mug. I sat on my made bed with WD and LD (who both apparently now sleep with all four legs in the air). Its only extra 2 hours. I have to leave at 8:20 instead of 6:15. Still fairly early. It will screw up lesson plans for everyone (myself included) all day long. I don’t even care. These 2 hours to catch up on email and puppy cuddles are just what the Dr. (Dr. Err that is) ordered.
Wild Salmon With Cajun Spices
2 years ago
4 comments:
I would love to have enough time in the morning to sit and have coffee and maybe even breakfast with the kid. I totally understand how much you must have enjoyed your delayed opening today!
Miss ya!
It's nice to get a bonus like that out of the blue once in a while. It's like that little *pop* that happens sometimes about 15 minutes after you get out of the pool. You know the one. You thought everything was dry and suddenly, *pop*... and there's this little puddle of warm (body temp) water you're shaking out of your ear. Very satisfying.
Oh, I was at the stable delivering photos when Sparky got your text about your time in the run. Congrats Doc! Good on ya!
I'm glad you got a little extra time for yourself. :-)
All I saw was 4 minute recent PR, very nice!
Post a Comment