
Um, people. I have my work cut out for me with the new pup.
He is a year and a half, and still very much a puppy.
BD was 12 mos when I got him. Never acted like a puppy. He is way too serious about his job (whatever that is) to be silly. His issues came out later. With strangers, not in the house.
LD.... this guy, all silly all the time. And he has NO idea how to be in a house. Or with a family.
You put the leash on, and he carries it around house walking himself. I set off my car alarm, and he peed. He has learned, however, not to take BD's food (and BD won't eat until he makes sure LD has his....). He has learned to come in when I call him, and how to get a cuddle. Something else he didnt' know. His favorite new thing.
Anytime he doesn't know what's going on...he stops and won't move. That's a bit of a pain when he and BD are hooked together sled dog style and LD gets stuck UNDER BD when its pitch dark, before 6 am, when I have to leave shortly for work.
But he's learning. And you can tell he's amazed by life here.
Strangers want to love LD and pet him and feed him (and maybe call him George...)at the pet store. Funny because while they tell me how good BD is they give us A LOT of room to get by. No one wants to pet him or feed him. Sad because BD is really sweet. Do those few extra inches and 20 extra pounds of muscle really make BD that much more intimidating? Weird. I've never been afraid of a dog unless it was chewing on my leg.
LD is really out of shape from sitting in the shelter for 6 months only getting out of his cage every few days for a little bit. He was a skinny fat guy. After 2 weeks with us, he's just plain skinny. The hour to hour and a half of walking and playing with BD and going to doggie daycare have shed several pounds off his tiny frame. His poor hip bones not only show, but are pointy and hard. We play hard at this house. Hopefully, in a few months he'll be buff like BD. Well, BD is pretty massive. He may not be that buff. But maybe he won't be so skinny.
In other news, my job finally went full time and a 'major Midwestern university' called me to adjunct and I'm working weekends at my mom's store. I haven't had a day off in months, my dogs are wearing me out, and its really pretty awesome.
How you all doing?
4 comments:
Sounds like LD found the perfect setup. So cool that he's got a family with the patience to teach him, 'cause he sounds like a great dog.
And yeah, unfortunately a couple of inches and 20 more pounds of muscle on a dog gets intimidating to a lot of people. But look at it this way, you could have stupid people coming up trying to pet him all the time and being... well, stupid.
Oh and about the building in the photo. Had to laugh at the idea of that part of Raleigh becoming "gentrified".
Walter P just found dog-heaven.
And it sounds like he deserved it.
I love it that you gave him his first real home..he's so lucky.
Hooray for LD's new home!
Congrats on the new pooch! I hope he knows what a great place he landed and that he is indeed a "Lucky Dog" :)
I've been busy. Some good, some carp. The good stuff is on my blog. The rest I am just dealing with in real life. Some things I just can't share with the world. I'm sure you understand.
Post a Comment