

No new negro league players at my house. I was pulling for Jackie Robinson. Then I'd get to live with Hank Aaron and Jackie Robinson. TB, however, felt that the little shy dog we met at Pet Smart (who was there with Big Dog's former 3 time foster family) was more like Walter Payton. I can live with that. He's another German Shepherd Husky mix. Way smaller than the one I live with. He was adopted at 6 months, spent 6 months with family who left him crated for 10 hours and were surprised when he dug and tried to run away.
Smart dog
Being a larger (though not BD large) and black and full of energy, he spent the next 6 months at the dog shelter.
We brought him home Sunday.
He doesn't know a lot of things that a dog who's had a home would know. What to do when someone is trying to put a leash on you, how to come and get a pet (though he learned that along with his name by Sunday night), or that turning the lights off means simmer the frick down and go to sleep. He also isn't in very good shape yet. Not a lot of muscles and kind of skinny-fat. Heh. He lives with me. That'll change soon.
And the good news is that he's pretty submissive, so he walks well on the leash despite me being the first person to walk him. He's been walked from here to there, but never taken on a walk. I am eternally grateful for this because as alpha as BD is, the two of them could could very well drag me from one end of the town to the other like their giraffe they've been playing tug with.
Note: As we picked up our new pup at the shelter and 2 boys and their dad picked up their new one at the same time, a lady returned her dog and a stray was dropped off by whomever found him. The holes this other family and mine made were filled before we emptied them. I'm just saying.
7 comments:
When it's right it's right.
I'm delirious for you, TB, Hank Aaron and even a little more so for Walter.. cuz his life just took a GIANT LEAP into 'how freakin' awesome is it to be these people's dog?' and his little but doesn't even know it yet.
I can't wait to meet him and be a part of his new dog-extended family.
jc
I love the look on Hank's face, as if he's saying "Mama! Look what I found!" :-) Walter is a beautiful dog and I can't wait to meet him.
What a seriously cool addition to your family!
Unfortunately what you witnessed is just a fact of life at the shelter. The fact that it netted out as a zero sum is actually unusual. Way more come in the front door than leave that way.
It breaks my heart every time.
But I'm glad WD has a new playmate! I'm betting he'll be glad too. Especially if the "social order" is already established from the beginning. That'll help a lot.
I love him! Someday we'll get all the four legged friends together, I promise!
Awesome puppy there, doc! Can't wait to meet em in rl! Congratz!
Congrats!!!!!
Post a Comment