So. I think my blog is a bit too serious. In a way that I seldom am. I think its hard for me to sit at this computer where I do academic writing and not you know... do academic writing.
So here's a little scene out of Mama Err's classroom for ya...because really folks... what I do for a living is one of two things.
I'm either totally going off on 13 year olds or joking around with them. Very little Social Studies gets done in my room, folks.
Most of the kids in my school know me. The 8th graders were pissed when I moved down to 7th grade because they couldn't be in my room. But they all say 'hi' and some of them introduce themselves. I even got cookies and a Christmas card from a kid this year that said, "I don't have you but you always smile at me." It was maybe, my most proud professional moment. I think the children just like to hear, "hi baby" during the school day.
And I talk to kids I don't know all the time. For instance, the other day I was walking down the hall and heard the 8th graders who run track talking about if they had to wear pants or if they could wear shorts.
Because jr high students are dumb and like to wear minimal clothing when its still winter weather. What the hell is it that make you think you're cool when you are dressed like a jackass in the cold. Coat=Lame. Goosebumps and pnemunia=big pimpin. I dunno.
But anyway, because I am lucky in love and life, I walked by *just* in time to hear, "man do we gotta wear pants?" And because I am also totally immature I said, "boys. I don't care where ya going... in this school ya gotta wear pants."
They didn't get it. I, however, giggled all the way out to my car.
I do this thing with my students I call, "getting Michelled." K's mom, used to smack us in the forehead (K's mom is the only person EVAH to hit me besides my folks....she passed almost 4 years ago). K and I smack my god daughter on the forehead. Like a "I should have had a V8" only someone else does it to you. I barely touch them, but they recognize this gesture as my busting on them when the do something stupid. I think they'd be devastated if I didn't do it to them. When you do something particularly stupid, I stop class, make you get up and get michelled in front of everyone. I told you folks. Very little Social Studies in my room....
I think it speaks volumes about my class that I motioned for one of my dears to come over to me during a lecture and his response was, "Mama, are ya gonna hit me?"
My students have spring fever. They operate on YP Time (young people time) and quite frankly... something is wrong with them. I know because I asked one of my children this week, "Baby. What is WRONG with you??" and he said very honestly and sincerely, "I don't know."
So I had to have THE TALK with them. You remember the talk. The one where your teacher says something like, "the school year is not over folks." Except mine goes more like, "I got ten weeks to get you knuckle head in shape. If you can't act like you got some sense by the time you leave me, you may never learn how. And I SURE ain't gonna let you get away from me without doin' my best to get you in line. Cuz you ain't never gonna have a teacher who love you like I do. So if you think I been mean this year, you ain't seen nothin' yet."
And don't you know some chuckle head did something dumb like 15 seconds later. So I had him get up (which might have been when he asked if I was going to hit him...). The following conversation ensued:
Err: "Son. Look behind you."
Boy: "What?"
Err: "Look behind you chuckle head."
Boy: "What am I looking for?"
Err: "Don't you see that?"
Boy: "What is it?"
Err: "That, son, is my foot. And its going to stay there directly up your behind until you learn to act right."
I really love my job. But I can't wait for spring break.
Wild Salmon With Cajun Spices
2 years ago
3 comments:
I love student stories. :) I hope that in 6 years or so, some of the students in your classroom end up in my classroom. I promise not to quiz them on social studies facts.
For the record, I like your serious posts too. The words one (and JC's post that inspired it) really have made me think.
I would love to have had you as a teacher when I was in 7th grade!
Gotta' love those kids. I hope you have a GREAT spring break, Doc ;)
Post a Comment