Friday, January 2, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes

My god daughter is five. She's been coming to spend the night with me since she was 3. I try to have her out each season. We always have plans for what we want to do, but usually, she just wants to play with WD (and now LD). Man, its like a whole love fest at my house. Forty pounds of kid, and 130 pounds of dog and lots of kisses. We were having lunch together on the way to our house New Year's Eve and talking about the tinker toys we got her for Christmas. It led to a discussion of what she might be when she grew up. An engineer who builds things, a dog doctor, a teacher, a Dr. Err (this name, by the way, is from this child and was given to me at my graduation). When given the option of being a Dr. Err like Auntie, she responded, "but I don't want to be white when I grow up."
I'm not entirely sure I've ever laughed so loud.
WM asked her later, 'what makes you think Auntie is white?'
GD responded, 'she's white like my dad.'
Which is sortof kindof true, given that he's not white either, but is can visibly identify with being something else.
It only got funnier when she told WM how Uncle TB is REALLY white.
Yeah.
I've been saying that for years, kid.

4 comments:

Antoinette said...

So, my brand new boyfriend is from Africa and I spend a lot of time telling him who is African-American: Various shades of brown he can tell because it's just like back home, but super light people like my father he cannot tell at all.

Sparky said...

*snort* at that kid and TB being 'really white'.

That is awesome.

Also.. my own WM is coming soon, I can't wait. I'd like to have dinner with your WM and my WM and you and daisy.

ohpleaseohpleaseohplease..?

Doctor Err said...

net- i got a friend who went to Ghana and they thought she was white. She was about your shade. She was devastated.

jelw- really white... i know. for the first 2 years of her life she thought all white men were uncle TB. heh. led to some really uncomfortable white dudes at TGIF....

Mojo said...

Imagine a world where everybody could be that oblivious to the differences. that might be a helluva lot nicer place to live I think.