Saturday, January 9, 2010

Snowdays, Happiness and Philosophy

Yesterday was a snow day. For a grown person, there is a system to snow days. You wake up a bit early to begin watching the news and lay in bed a wee bit longer waiting for your school district to run by on the ticker at the bottom of screen, hopeful that you'll be able to stay there. I love, love, love snow days. Growing up in Alaska we had two the entire 13 years I was in school. Both of these days I went to school only to find an empty parking lot because it didn't occur to me that there wouldn't be school (we had new superintendent of schools who was from Texas). Its an unplanned treat that I relish. Something in the winter to look forward to. A day off without a list of household chores, weekend jobs, or Krav classes.
So yesterday I spent extra time snuggled in bed, coffee in hand and puppy at my feet watching local news and The Today Show. I know, I know.... guilty pleasure, I guess. Really, I was doing some work for the university, drinking coffee with the TV was on for background. But I turned the volume up for this segment. The Happiness Project. Basically, a lady devoted a year to being happier. Taking pleasure in the little things. Her book is a best seller. Really? Really? Is this what we've come to? We need someone to remind us to take pleasure in the little things and that will make us happy?
Apparently so.
There is a part of me that is amazed by this. And then there is the other part of me. The discourse analyst (ya'll forget about that part of me, dontcha?). This part of me hears what people say. I hear the complaining they do. Christmas is too hard, grocery shopping is lame, I hate my job, the kids are driving me nuts, its too cold, its too hot, blah-zey skip.
I think about how my interactions with people go.
*****
"Oh. Junior high...that's a hard age."
Its an honor. I love it.
"Well. You're crazy." (read as: full of shit) Why would you do this with a doctorate?
I want to give back to a community that gave me a great deal.
Blank stare. I don't know why you got a doctorate if you're not going to use it.
Um. Well I do teach part time at the university and ya know, I like to think it helps the kids.
******
Looking at my green monster smoothie: "That is nasty. I don't know how you eat that. You're one of those weird healthy people. Working out all the time. That's all you do and its not like you're a size two."
Um. Don't really want to be a size two, I sort of like looking like a girl. The smoothie just tastes like any fruit smoothie. I like them it gives me 2 veggies and 3 fruits to start my day. I like to run and stuff. Its fun.
You have a weird idea of fun.
******
How do you drive so far to work every day?
Well ya know... I'm looking forward to being closer, but I've got a reliable car, and its kind of nice. I drink my coffee on the way in, talk to friends on the way home...its about the only time I'm sitting in the same spot every day. And plus, I have a beautiful country road drive every day. I get to watch the sun rise in the morning. I don't mind.
Well, I couldn't do that.
******
I think about my own life. The joy I get out of puppy snuggles or watching my rescue dogs who've come so far playing and being silly with each other. I enjoy immensely going to the grocery (I come from people who rarely have what they'd like to eat and sometimes haven't had enough...I love the grocery). I feel wonderful after a crossfit workout where I do a hundred push ups or a zillion squats (ok. maybe that's an exaggeration...but not much of one) before I go to work at 7 am. I am tickled to make a pizza with homemade rosemary crust that is as good as a pricey restaurant for only a couple of dollars (and it is healthy!). I think about how my students make me laugh everyday and how I think I broke a kid's heart when I told my class that I would be 35 in July (this makes me older than his parents...and he's got a bit of a crush...and older than his parents makes me old by 8th grade standards). Are you really?? I'm tickled to take my mom her lunch after 18 years of her making mine. The sunrise on the way to work really is beautiful and I drive past the homestead (the 33 plus acres that will someday be home) and smile at the way the sun comes up behind the woods.
I don't lust after fancy purses (ok. I like a sharp purse but I don't need a collection), I don't need fancy cars (something to hold two big dogs and camping gear and a bike rack will do me), and the house we're looking to build is for us and our simple life, not status. Granted, I've decided what life I want to have. I didn't go to the academy full time...it wasn't a good fit for me...it doesn't lend itself to simplicity. I chose an odd match of a partner, but a good and healthy relationship...and I stick to it. I choose friendships that are positive and supportive. But I didn't need a book to tell me not to take for granted that Big Dog just put his head on my knee and is wiggling his tail at me telling me things with this doggie telepathy.
What the hell has happened to the world that we need books to remind us of this?


1 comment:

Theia said...

Wow. What a powerful and inspired post!

You are completely right. How sad that we need someone else to remind us (remind us??? really???) to be happy. To take pleasure in the simple things. To be thankful for what we do have, rather than upset for what we don't.