Saturday, January 2, 2010

An experiment in black beans...

I found this recipe for black bean soup over the holiday break.
I love black bean soup.
According to he Law of Soup (see Rules for Being Dr. Err section 8) it is imperative that I try to make a large batch of soup to freeze for easy dinners (read as: when I get home late and The Boy has to make dinner). Typically, I take about half of my homemade soups to my mom for her lunches at work. Its a joy to know that she is getting a good/whole meal in and she likes it. She and my dad both work a lot (wonder where I get it...) and my dad fixes all dinners when my mom works. But he's not as into the whole food philosophy as I am... or vegetables for that matter. That's a RIOT considering that not eating veggies was.not.an.option. when I was growing up.

/*disclaimer* I am totally thankful for his making me eat vegetables when I was a kid because it has shaped who I am now. However, that led to considerable drama when I was a young person and once it led to me carrying around a nasty slimy cooked carrot for a day or two when I was four. *ahem* I get my stubborn streak from my dad. /*disclaimer*

This recipe appealed to me for many reasons. One, because I think I like TGIF's black bean soup (yes, I still have to ask my mom what kind of gravy I like when I go out to eat. shoot me.). Two, I know my mom likes it and she's a third of my eating audience. Three, it has a potential for a high vegetable content. So I doubled the recipe and gave it a go.


Doubling the recipe leads to a lot of veggie cut-up prep work (one reason I used this recipe is because I figured I could sneak in a serving of veggies in each bowl). To cut up double amounts (and i always add a bit extra in the veggie department) and some extra celery for lentil tacos later this week, my total cut up time was 15 minutes or so. I'm not a real cook people....no real knife skills for this kid.


*notice I cut the green peppers larger....I really like green peppers and wanted to really be able to taste them.

You need 8 cans of black beans for a double batch of this soup. I had 4. Crap. Lucky for me, I had 6 cups of frozen beans that I had cooked in the garage. Sweet. Except for that when I got them in the pot, I wasn't sure if they were black beans or red ones...but I'm pretty sure they were black beans. :)

Once everything was in the pot I let it simmer for an hour and a half or so.


I got right around 10 large bowls out of this recipe. Serving and a half of veggies per bowl. *suh-weet!* I garnished with vegan cheese and tofutti sour cream. My mom and TB love, love, love it. In fact, TB said its the best soup that I've ever fixed. I dunno that I'd go that far...but with a side of cornbread it is a wonderful dinner. I will totally be fixing it again.



All in all, its a way cheap, healthy, and high protein meal. And the more I think about it... the more sure I am that the beans were black....



1 comment:

Maria said...

I was a serial non-veggie eater too! Mom had me sitting at the table for hours after everyone else was finished. I tried every trick* in the book to make them disappear but none of them worked. Sometime around late high school/early college something "clicked" and I've eaten & loved nearly every time of veggie since.

*I'd love to know just how much I did successfully flush down the toilet before mom caught on