I have always worked hard to be one of the positive, productive, adds something to the world type of people I like so much. I'm not sure how well that goes along with my very serious ability to dish out a scorch mark leaving burn and my redhead temper...but whatever. I'm complicated.
Since finishing the doctoral program, and finding my niche with my babies in Jr High Social Studies (despite a prolonged time where pride of the academy poked me in the eye roughly ten times a day), getting my dogs, and deciding to buy some land and build a green house (I mean eco friendly...not the color green...though I'm not opposed to green...)I have felt a profound change in my world.
In who I am.
I mean, no lie... I'm still who I am, but something has changed. I have a different relationship with my world. I have a very intimate relationship with the simple things in my life. Walking with my dogs. A beautiful morning and a good cup of coffee on the way into work. Hearing, "Morning Mama" and knowing that a good portion of those kids look for me first thing each day. I have a different relationship with food. Not in the diet, weight watchers kind of way. I'm pretty comfortable in my body. I'm not skinny and dysfunctional about it (and I'm amazed at the emphasis on that concept on many blogs) and I'm not a big girl who's decided to be comfortable being big... I just have a new food philosophy that emphasizes simple foods, whole foods, natural and organic foods. Food as fuel for my active life. I need these good whole foods to run 4 or 5 miles before my hour and a half advanced vinyasa yoga class (after a full day at work).
I am into simplicity with regard to things. Purchases are based on need rather than cool factor. My decision to have my next car be a 2 seater Lexus has been replaced by a decision to have something that is both gasennomical and big enough to fit 2 big dogs and a bunch of gear. My purchases are more often that not 'gear related' new running shoes, sport bras, yoga clothes, new chef's knife or cutting board, my yoga fees, dog training fees.
My time is spent simply. I am outside as much as not, when I'm not working. I build at habitat with women, I garden, I run, I walk the dogs, I hike. I sit outside and watch the world. I spend most days trying to figure out how to best use the gifts that God has given me. I have been crazy blessed. There must be something I am supposed to do with it. My job is at times hard. There are two gangs jockeying around for turf in the neighborhood where my school is located. My boys are claiming and joining and getting hurt. I had four kids loose a parent this year. Poor people do not get the same medical care as others. Don't kid yourself folks. But my approach to complicated situations is simple. I love those kids. I tell them I love them every day. I show them I love them. Everyday. I keep my foot FIRMLY up their behinds. And I tell them about their choices. Every. Day. Simple.
In efforts to make my personal life as simple as my material life and my professional life I go out of my way to avoid drama. To avoid those with drama. I get that sometimes, drama happens. But there are those who enjoy it. Feed off from it. Aren't happy with peace and simplicity. Those who have problems in their life and stay angst-y and negative. I approach this simply, too. I stay away from this energy. I stay away from these people. Its ugly and dark. I can't deal with it simply, so I simply don't deal with it.
I am happier than I have ever been in my life. And I have always worked at being happy so that's saying something. Sometimes I'll be doing something and just realize how insanely happy I am. How settled. How peaceful. Even with the craziness that is my schedule (three jobs, volunteer work, my own physical training, my dog training and rehab), I am peaceful in my simple life.
And this week a drop of drama that was cut out inserted itself into my world. Just a drop. And I've had two sleepless nights. I've been preoccupied. I have been distracted from my simple life. It isn't my relationship (so I can't weed it out like the thistles in my yard) but it is in my world and its damn complicated. And less than peaceful.
Now, I need to find a simple solution.
Wild Salmon With Cajun Spices
2 years ago
2 comments:
This post feels so familiar, so similar to thoughts and musings of my own. I often re-read this passage found in my PT's office, it puts everything in perspective:
with all your heart say out loud, i want to live a happy life
listen to what you just said . take notice of things
surround yourself with people you love . listen to the wind
imagine . let everything change all the time . let go of
the why . welcome miracles . thank God constantly . breathe
tell the truth about how you feel . make choices . want what
you want . let the animals reach you . have children
teach you . take good care of your body . love passionately
share your dreams . spread your gifts . check it out
forgive the past . dive in . eat it up . take chances . be real
This post really hits home for me in quite a few ways.
I'm don't think I'm quite "insanely happy" yet, but I do find happiness in the more simple things of life. Never have needed anything super-fancy, though it's not bad every once in awhile.
It sounds like you're finding your bliss in a very similar vein.
Post a Comment